
First we went to Live Oak, the Porter's favorite beach down that way. It was a beautiful secluded spot and the kids had classic beach fun and the adults chatted the afternoon away. Later we met up with the dad's and the Blatters for 75 cent night at the Santa Cruz Beach boardwalk. That place has such fond memories for me. We went there at least once every summer grown up with the family, and sometimes Kir and I would go there on our own (shoot did I just let the secret out? hi mom). It was a little scummy back then and Kir and I always got hit on by shirtless young men with scumstaches. Oh who am I kidding, it is a little scummy now, but I was not hit on once by and shirtless young hooligans this trip. hmmmm.
The boardwalk is such a beachy amusement park summer cliche. There are the trashy folk, the smell of all things fried (although, they've not NOTHING on the classic fair food of the South, pork butt on a stick anyone?), ocean views from the heights of the twirly ferris wheel and the big old wooded roller coaster "The Giant Dipper", big crowds for the cheap tickets, cool sea night air and wet sandy muck on the floor of the bathroom stalls. And I love it all.

This was our kid's third trip to the boardwalk and they love it too. Actually, Maren and Kiera really loved it this trip. Neve is too old and wise for the kiddie rides and too short for the big ones. She was such a good sport about it, but if anyone knows some way to boost her height about 4 inches between now and the next trip, please contact me asap.
Not all involved are as hard core, or thrifty as the case may truly be, as the Callaway's and Blatter's. I guess we just wanted to get all the fun we could get for our 75 cents per ticket. We closed the place down. The kids were all still kickin' it at 11:15 when we headed out to the cars for the hour and fifteen minute drive home. Sure am glad it's summer.

Yes, I borrowed that last shot from the nice folks at the internet.

7 comments:
sure do miss being hit on by shirtless guys...(NOT!)... do NOT miss the shorts being worn WAY too high! sounds like a fun day... i would love to work in another beach trip sometime this summer... maybe at the end of august...
Man that sucks not being hit on by a gross dude...I am feeling like maybe your trip wasn't as eventful as it could have been...JK Sweet pic by the way. And honestly I am still waiting for the answer to how you guys are non stop tripping it all over the place? Lottery? Anyway, just longing to be with you in all the eventful places...Meg
ah....the good food to be had at the memphis fair
Okay, don't even think I didn't have that exact same swimsuit from J CREW because I totally did. except lets just say I didn't fill mine out quite as nicely as you did. hubba, hubba!!
Scottie has the same problem with rides. We went to six flags last year and it just devestated him that he couldn't go on alot of the bigger rides. If you figure out how to boost Neve four inches let me in on your secret.
Ok when you are referring to the really LAME people, I'm assuming you mean me. (I just pirated a post from my sister tonight!) You know, the only reason I'm friends with you is so I have a few photos of my kids?
Ha, Ha - I LOVE YOU! To bad your stuck with such lame friends :)
I'm glad I'm among the die hards and not the lame-o's!! ;) I think cheap and frugal and bang for the buck (or should I say 75 cents) is more accurate!!
We had so much fun--I, too, had a dead battery but Karli got a few...of her baby Kade! Probably won't help you...
Don't worry I was not disappointed! I would much rather see you and Kirsten in your hot underwire cup J Crew swimsuis!! Hilarious! ps I wouldn't throw out that nice man in the line behind you as hitting on you! He wasn't shirtless and scummy or nearly as exciting though!!
Post a Comment